A number of years ago, as part of a secret Santa game at work, I decided what I really wanted was a housekeeper. I've finally come a big step closer: we have hired a cleaning service to come once a month to deep clean the house. I just need to keep it up in between.
Now, that seems like such a simple thing, but when your official job description is 'homemaker', there's a bit (or a lot) of guilt. After all, isn't that what I should be doing while I'm home with the kids all day? Except it isn't that easy. Between breaking up fights, keeping the boys entertained, and trying to clean without them getting into dangerous chemicals or breaking the vacuum, the house is never all clean on the same day. And a lot gets skipped, put off for another day....
Luckily, Chris is very supportive and was all for hiring help. Especially because we found a service that it very affordable (some cleaning services are way too expensive!) But it's still hard... until I realized that Carol Brady, that paragon of tv-mom-dom, had a full-time housekeeper with 6 school age kids old enough to help out. Seriously, if Mrs. Brady needed or just plain wanted help, I can too.
I hate cleaning. Yes, this is a splurge, but worth it to me. I can pursue things that make me happy like writing. Part of what spurred me to finally make the call was participating in NaNoWriMo. It's slow and I won't be done in the 30 days, but I'm enjoying trying to tell a story. I'd like to do more things like that.
Today was the first time they came to clean. It took 2 professionals nearly 3 hours (6 work hours) to clean the house completely. Seriously, if it took that long for them to thoroughly clean, how can I do it with 2 kids clinging to me, needing attention? I've already scheduled a date for next month. They did a great job. The mopped floors and the sparkling kitchen are totally worth it.
So, in a nutshell:
1) It's ok to hire a cleaning service. Mrs. Brady had a housekeeper.
2) It takes a lot of time for pros to do it. We can forgive ourselves for not having time.
3) Husbands: this is a great Christmas gift. Cleaning companies give free quotes. Merry Maids is expensive. Other companies are affordable.
4) You can have a cleaning company do as much or as little as you want. I have a thorough deep clean, but know several people who just have someone in to do the kitchen and bathrooms.
5) I love my new cleaning service!